1. Add a “follow me” button. This is an easy way to let people know you use twitter, and there are tons to choose from-
http://www.twitterbuttons.com/ is a good site, but there are many others to choose from.
2. Put a “retweet” button in your blog posts. This way viewers don’t have to cut and paste, they just click on the “retweet button” and they can be on their way. Step by step details are here-
Looks like this:
Try it, its fun!
3. Talk about twitter…. sometimes. People on twitter love to talk about twitter and they love to hear about twitter. So, if you see a great question on twitter, write a blog post about it- this is a great way to drive traffic to your site. (If you’re reading this, it already worked)
4. Thank people on twitter for posting comments to your blog using @replies- this makes you appear much more accessible and gives positive reinforcement to your visitors.
5. Don’t tweet multiple announcements about your new blog post. Instead, use the back door method. You don’t want to be spamming your new blog post all over- so send DM’s to some close twitter friends and let them know about the new post. I’m sure they will gladly re-tweet it! But remember, do unto others – don’t ask someone to tweet about your new blog post if your not willing to do the same.
We are all still learning here, so I would love other ideas people might have. How else can blogs be more twitter friendly?